You will find as many recipes of the Spanish Omelette (Tortilla de patatas!) as cooks you will meet, and each one will have his own twist. The same happens with Paella! Everyone you ask, will consider its own the best, therefore, here comes my recipe, the best one!
Ingredients (to share 8 pax)
- Potatoes (800gr)
- Onion, just the half of potatoes (400gr)
- Eggs, one for each 100gr of potatoes (8)
- Olive oil
- First of all, peel the potatoes and onions and cut into thin slices. The onion I will sauté it a lot, an hour long, until brown and sweet, so I will use the Thermomix. Of course you can do it in the pan, but then you have to be careful to avoid the onion sticking into it…
- Add the potatoes to a pan with enough cold olive oil to cover them and select the highest temp setting; the potato must be almost fried, like a chip, but without arriving to a crispy texture; if the olive oil does not reach enough temperature, potatoes will be «boiled» and you will get a floury texture… so up the heat! When the potatoes start to brownish, then lower the heat to simmer them but having in mind that olive oil must be always frying.
- As soon as the potatoes are ready, 20/25 minutes, drain them (do not throw the olive oil, it can be reused!) and mix them with the beaten eggs and salt. Leave them a long time while you finish to brown the onion, at least 15 minutes.
- When the onion is completely caramelised (not black!), drain it and add it to the pot with the potatoes and the beaten egg. Stir the mixture softly to avoid breaking the potatoes, better with a spoon than with a fork, and you are ready for the last step, time to cook it!
- Use a non sticking pan, preheated with a drop of olive oil, and cook it on low for 5 to 6 minutes. It will get it’s beautiful brown color slowly, no need to cook it on high.
- After 5 to 6 minutes, flip it, using a dish or lid larger than the pan. Interesting tip: soak the lid or plate with water and the omelette will slip better back to the pan after flipping it!
- And after 5 minutes more, ready to serve! Today is a for a snack, as a finger food, and I have cooked it to a hard consistency. If you prefer it softer, just cook it 3 to 4 minutes each side instead of the 5 to 6. Bon profit!